Magic Media is a pioneering media, entertainment, and tech group powered by creativity and innovation. We have a physical presence in 14 countries and expertise in the areas of art, animation, cybersecurity, game development, software development, VFX, and video production amongst others. We work with leading developers and publishers within the games and tech industry, providing support and solutions designed around individual needs and carried out by global experts.
People are what make games great! Magic Media is currently seeking a Lead 3D Environment Artist to help our team on their next adventure. The ideal candidate enjoys putting their skills and knowledge to use in a variety of styles. Your broader experience in game development and the environment pipeline will help you work collaboratively with designers, concept artists, technical artists, and animators to create an immersive and epic experience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Lead and mentor a team of artists, ensuring that each has clear, concrete tasks, goals, and regular constructive feedback
- Create a diverse range of high-quality environment assets, from sculpting to implementing in the engine
- Partner closely with producers in helping delegate tasks, plan estimates, and arrange meetings as needed to ensure individuals' workloads are manageable and the team's deliverables can be completed on schedule
- Work with clients in upholding their artistic vision and ensuring outgoing work is technically sound and meets technical standards
- Partner with Tech Art and Engineering throughout development to ensure assets are functionally sound and optimized for engine/platform constraints
- Help continue to expand the capabilities of the Environment Art team through training, team building, refinements of process and techniques, and candidate recruiting and hiring
- Create pipeline and workflow documentation for the department as well as specific projects in need
- Explore opportunities to technically innovate, streamline tools and processes, and champion best practices for the team
- Engage in technical and aesthetic problem-solving efforts through to completion
- Be proactive about elevating your team's concerns to the larger team and making sure that your discipline is well represented
- Help work with recruiting exceptionally talented artists onto a team and helping them to learn and grow through mentorship and coaching
- An accomplished artist with 6+ years of experience within the environment art discipline with 2+ years of experience as a Lead Environment Artist in game development
- Strong understanding of modern game engines, specifically Unreal, a must
- Expert knowledge of spatial design, composition, lighting, and detail hierarchy
- Exceptional sculpting and modeling skills for generating organic and hard surface environments assets
- Comprehensive knowledge of multiple major 3D and 2D packages such as Maya, Blender, Substance Painter/Designer, Photoshop, etc
- Demonstrated experience creating PBR textures and a strong understanding of the PBR texturing workflow
- Deep technical knowledge of modern pipelines, workflows, and techniques for developing environments with clean topology
- Experience working in multiple phases of game development - early prototyping through launch
- Passionate about mentoring others to further develop their artistic and technical skill sets and are excited about managing, leading, and continuing to grow a world-class environment art team
- Excellent organization, time management, and communication skills
- You have a great team spirit and are proactive
- Professional working English proficiency
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio/reel (or link to a portfolio/reel). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
- An opportunity to hone and improve your skills by applying them to a diverse variety of gaming projects
- The chance to work closely with a team of like-minded creative professionals in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- A competitive salary
- Ongoing training and professional self-improvement opportunities
At Magic Media, our passion lies in gaming. Our vision is to create and deliver engaging and interesting games for our clients. We can deliver this high-quality work on any platform, whether it be on a console, PC, or mobile. We know that reputation and results go hand-in-hand. Therefore, we work hard to find experts and talented creators to deliver the best results.
If you do not meet all the requirements, but believe you’d still be a great fit for the role, don’t worry! We’d still love to hear from you, please get in touch!